Shaggy Ink Cap Mushrooms

September 28th, 2009 | Category: Cramond, News, Wildlife Clubs

Ink Cap Mushrooms

Today in the club we managed to run into a large number of Shaggy Ink Cap Mushrooms. These brilliant mushrooms produce an ink like substance from their undersides that was once used for writing. On this note we decided it would be a good idea to let a few of the kids take some home and let them decompose, eventually leaving only the ink remaining. With enough ink collected we hope to make tattoos!

The shaggy Ink Cap mushroom is also an edible mushroom, but only before the cap opens up and starts to turn black and inky.


  1. Hi,
    I was there when we found the Shaggy Ink Cap Mushroom! It was really cool touching the ink at the bottom. My brother was picked to take some of the mushrooms, unfortunally he left the tub were the mushrooms were found. I wasnt quite sure who found them, but I am sure that whoever did, made a great discovery

    Comment by Alana Spence — 30/09/2009 @ 18:50

  2. I found some of these growing up next to the house in a shady damp place. It is interesting to find out what kind they are and what they do. I noticed how one day there would be a tall cap and next day just a flat top.

    Comment by Glora Sutton — 03/10/2010 @ 02:59

  3. I saw them at my daughters house not in a damp shaded area as you would think but in a sunny area we thought they might be poisonous they are really pretty but only last a day or so

    Comment by carol hunter — 21/11/2011 @ 20:15

  4. 10 years later…did you ever make tattoos with the ink from the fungi? How did it work out? I would like to as well, but know they had an adverse affect on humans when consumed then consuming alcohol. Was wondering if the same would be for tattooing

    Comment by Christina — 04/07/2020 @ 04:28

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URL

Leave a comment